Sunday, February 28, 2016

THIS WEEK'S MENU: 2/29-3/6

What a wondeful weekend!  We spent this weekend celebrating my beautiful niece's wedding in Nashville, TN. It was themost meaningful wedding I have ever seen, including my own!  No detail was overlooked!


Here's what I'm cooking up this week.  Josh won't be home for dinner for part of the week so I've included some of my favorites that my kids love in those spots.

MONDAY:  Rotisserie Chicken and zucchini tots.  Tutorial coming on how to make your own rotisserie chicken-- The Prissy Girl's Guide to Cooking Whole Chicken!  My personal Hottie won't be here for dinner tonight, so we are doing some kid friendly things.   Here is the recipe for the zucchini tots! http://damndelicious.net/2015/08/08/zucchini-tots/http://damndelicious.net/2015/08/08/zucchini-tots/
Zucchini Tots - Loaded with zucchini and carrots, these tots do not even taste healthy! It's the perfect way to sneak in veggies, and it's just so good!

TUESDAY:  Chicken Pot Pie.  Mmmmm... I used to HATE this as a kid but now that I'm all grown up, it's AWESOME!  My kiddos love it, too!  I don't have a link to the recipe, so here's the recipe I use....
1/2 lb cubed chicken (use the rotisserie from last night!)
2 to 3 c frozen mixed veggies.  You could cut fresh ones, but for real, who has the time?
1/3 c butter (Butter is best.  And, better for your body!)
1/3 c chopped onion
1/3 c all purpose flour
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/2 t celery seed (I don't use celery because I'm n ot a fan of the smooshiness (Yes, that's a word... somewhere.))
2 1/2 c chicken broth, or as needed.  I never use that much but you might like yours soupier (Yes, another real word.)  If I were you and I made homemade rotisserie chicken, I'd use the bone broth.
2/3 c milk
2 deep dish pie crusts

Preheat oven to 425.  Use egg whites to lightly coat bottom of pie crust and bake for 7 minutes.  In a saucepan, cook onions in butter until soft and transluscent.  Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed.  Slowly stir in half of chicken broth and milk.  Add chicken, frozen veggies, and some broth to cover, if needed. Simmer on medium low until thick.  Pur into par-baked pie crust.  Cover with second piece of pie crust and brush with egg whites.  Cut 2" vent holes (about 7) into the top of the crust.  Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.  Cool 10 minutes.

If you are a diehard chicken pot pie eater that uses Cream of Something soup, try this substitution.  It's so much healthier and not as nasty looking!  Well, I'M SORRY!  That canned stuff is N.A.S.T.Y.!  http://1orangegiraffe.blogspot.com/2011/07/anything-you-wanna-call-it-casserole.html?showComment=1310864846151#c3489139395376988271  I've used this recipe a ton of times and it's delicious!


WEDNESDAY:  Beef Barbocoa with seasoned black beans. I'm a sucker for Mexican.  Mmm... I could eat it (and Chinese, and American, and...)  all the time!!   http://www.fivehearthome.com/2015/02/03/slow-cooker-beef-barbacoa/  Here is the recipe for the seasoned black beans.  Yes, you can buy seasoned black beans in a can at the grocery store.  I promise they aren't as good as homemade!  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/63113/best-black-beans/?internalSource=recipe%20hub&referringId=2020&referringContentType=recipe%20hub Allrecipes is one of my favorite cooking websites for one major reason.... REVIEWS!  I always read the first 3-4 reviews to see how to tweak the recipe to make it more successful.  It's like knowing the answers to the test before you take it!
Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa ~ flavored with smoked chipotles in adobo, fresh garlic, cilantro, and Mexican spices, this tender, juicy meat is an ideal filling for tacos, burritos, and quesadillas, or a tasty topping for rice bowls and salads | FiveHeartHome.com

THURSDAY:  Madeira Chicken with roasted broccoli.  I love ANYTHING cooked in wine. Or in beer, actually, but this is alll about the wine!  http://www.chewoutloud.com/2015/05/13/chicken-madeira-cheesecake-factory-copycat-2/  And here is our all-time favorite broccoli recipe!  I think the lemon juice will add just the right amout of acidity to balance that rich chicken!  Yep!  Broccoli with LEMON JUICE!  http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2008/11/the_best_brocco.html
  Chicken-Madeira-3IMG_1.JPG

FRIDAY:  Taco Bar!  We are having our church group over for dinner and we thought a taco bar would be so much fun!  Who doesn't love tacos?!  I'm going to provide the meat and shells and assign toppings to our guests.  You know us women... we loooove to bring food to other people's houses.  :)  Found this handy-dandy checklist on Pinterest.  Instead of beef, I may do chicken.  Still thinking...
Pin this Taco Bar Checklist. Taco Bars are Great for Graduation Parties, Birthdays, Home Parties & More. Pin Now... Use Later!:

SATURDAY:  Date night with the hubby!!!!  We are headed to Exit Strategy in Charlotte with a big group of friends after eating at Mac's Wing Shop!!!  Yay!!!

SUNDAY:  Our old faithful Kale Soup from Gathered in the Kitchen!  http://gatheredinthekitchen.com/2015/09/14/kale-sausage-cannellini-sun-dried-tomatoes-soup/  I prefer California Sun-Dried tomatoes from Walmart.  I think they have the most flavor.  And, I'll add a splash of balsamic video and a few glugs of white wine.  Soooo yummy!  I think I'm going to try this gluten free Brazilian Cheese Bread to go along with it.  They look so fluffy!  http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/easy_brazilian_cheese_bread/
Brazilian Cheese Bread

Thanks for stopping by!  Y'all come back now, ya hear?  xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment