Monday, February 22, 2016

Menu for 2/22-2/28

What a wild weekend it has been!  Took the kiddos down to GA to visit my parents and some extended family that is visiting. So tired from that, but it was fun!!  Kids love going down to visit Bubbe and Poppy, and Bubbe Jo and Poppy D!  Now on to the week!

Monday:  SESAME CHICKEN WITH QUINOA.  If you haven't tried quinoa, do it today.  It's a great replacement for rice (as is cauliflower, by the way) but it has so many more nutrients than rice, which helps to counter the carb spike!  I even use it in place of grits for cheese grits!  Still feel like your sinnin' but you aren't!  Here's the recipe for sesame chicken with quinoa. Super easy.  If you want to boost the nutritional value, throw some sauteed veggies into your quinao to  make it more of a fried rice style.  http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/sesame-chicken-with-quinoa/#_a5y_p=1330288
Healthier Sesame Chicken Recipe | gimmesomeoven.com

Tuesday:  SPICY KALE SOUP.  This is the ORIGINAL kale soup our family used to eat before my friend Stephanie modified it for us.  This version is super yummy too!  Still a ton of nutrients but it fills your belly, which is often not the case with soups.   http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2013/03/kale-soup-sausage-sweet-potato.html

post-feature-image

Wednesday:  TORTILLA AND BLACK BEAN PIE WITH A SIDE SALAD.  This is sooooo yummy and really easy!  I use the low carb version of the tortilla because it's higher in protein.  And, if you're really feeling crazy, cook your meet with some beer in it.  Takes it up a notch, that's for sure!  I also add some black beans to it.  It makes a ton with black beans, so you can actually make two and invite your neighbors or your mother-in-law over for dinner.  What??? I've crossed the line with the MIL?  ;)   http://www.marthastewart.com/336692/tortilla-and-black-bean-pie?backto=true&backtourl=/photogallery/meatless-comfort-food#slide_43

Mission Carb Balance Flour Tortillas Soft Taco (8 count)Tortilla and Black Bean Pie

Thursday:  MAPLE DIJON CHICKEN WITH BACON.  Bacon.  Mmmmm.... Need I say more?  http://www.wholesomelicious.com/creamy-maple-dijon-chicken-with-bacon/  Serve this up with a side of sauteed zucchini and it scores some serious points with the hubby.  PS-- I'd add a ton more bacon.  Bacon would be mad at me if I didn't.


Friday:  Who wants to cook on a Friday night?  Not this girl.  As a matter of fact, we have plans so no cooking here, but I didn't want to leave you high and dry.  Here's a great recipe that is super duper easy.  If you want to make it really easily, use butter and sqirt some Italian dressing on top.  I even will bump up the flavor with some homemade Italian dressing powder so I can lessen the sodium a tad.  There is no recipe link with this one but you can see how easy it is from the picture.



Saturday:  CHOPPED THAI SALAD WITH SESAME GARLIC DRESSING.  This is really yummy and super duper easy, too. I add chicken to it to make it more of a meal.  I know soy beans have gotten a bad rap over the years and I think there is something to be said for they being read as a false estrogen, but I think if you keep it in moderation, you're good.  That's what I tell myself because I love me some edamame.  Whatever helps you sleep at night, right?  http://pinchofyum.com/chopped-thai-salad-sesame-garlic-dressing

Chopped Thai Salad with Sesame Garlic Dressing: SO GOOD! A rainbow of power veggies with a flavorful homemade dressing. 390 calories. | pinchofyum.com

Sunday:  HOMEMADE PIZZA.  Do try this at home:  quinoa pizza crust.  Really, you must do it.  It isn't bad!  I like it way better than the cauliflower pizza crust, for sure!!!  http://www.simplyquinoa.com/ultimate-quinoa-pizza-crust/  It's really not hard to make but you do have to soak the quinoa the night before, so plan ahead.  Top it with healthy ingredients (or not) for dinner.  This is what I like to do... I scour menus of my favorite fancy restaurants and find my favorite pizzas there.  I buy those same toppings at Aldi or Walmart and make my own!  Easy peasy!

Latest obsession >> GLUTEN-FREE BLENDER PIZZA! That's right, this crust is made in your blender, is only 5 ingredients and no yeast required!

You guys have a great week!!!  Thanks for taking a peek!



2 comments:

  1. yum!! I'll have to try the original kale soup!!! make some for me!! ;-) ;-) ;-)

    ReplyDelete