Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Iron Chef Kids 2

I am happy to announce that our children are still very involved in their cooking night.  They have basically forgone the competitive part of the game (little mister figured out how to throw it by scoring everyone else low haha) and just love choosing and making dinner every Monday night.  There was one week that we were all running around and rehearsals ran late, etc... so I told them that we weren't going to cook that night and just grab something on the way home.  You would have thought that I had laid down the biggest punishment in history!  I was shocked at how upset they were!

Here are a few of the latest themed dinners:  Thanksgiving in February and Build your own Pizza.

Why the Thanksgiving meal?  Because this is about life skills more than anything and I want to create good kitchen helpers by Thanksgiving!  I bought a turkey breast and taught them how to use a brine to flavor it and a meat thermometer.  They made the sides of mashed potatoes and veggies.

This week, my middle one asked if they could do pizzas.  They all made their own dough and chose the types of pizzas to make.

Little Mister wanted to make a white pizza with a ricotta filling.  Egg cracking is always fun!



All hard at work!



My middle guy wanted to make a traditional pizza with pepperoni and bacon crumbles.  The boys both had to choose which spices to flavor their dish with.  They smelled the spices and decided to go with oregano and basil and little mister went with a thyme again too. 



Missy poo made a dessert pizza with chocolate chips and crushed pretzels for a sweet/salty flavor.



The outcome was pretty delicious but the time together in the kitchen, priceless! 



6 comments:

  1. Love this!!! Awesome thing you guys are doing. ๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!!! Awesome thing you guys are doing. ๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Pam! We are having fun :) Their spouses will thank me one day haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are getting ready to update our kitchen, so I hope they can come visit and help me in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete