Sunday, March 13, 2016

Fear

fear
ˈfir/
noun
1
an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.



Have you ever found yourself swallowed by fear... fear of the unknown or fear to take the next step in someway?  It's debilitating.  I find myself in a place of fear sometimes to the point of feeling frozen.  I see the storm coming or maybe the goal ahead, yet I am frozen.  I don't want to step left or right or make any decision for that matter, because the decision that I make could possibly.....  

And then I have to ask myself... "Could possibly, what?"  Is anyone going to be harmed if I make the wrong decision?  Is anyone's life going to be over or changed in anyway for that matter?  


Next I have to ask myself, what does God say about fear?  He says a lot actually.... Some sources say that the Bible mentions fear 365 times, but with further research, I have found that in the context of "fear-not" it is about 21 times.  But God clearly asks us for our burdens and to lay aside all of our fear.  

“I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears” (Psalm 34:4).

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7).



Franklin D. Roosevelt says in his famous inauguration speech, "So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself -- nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance..."

Fear is an age old struggle and we all deal with it in one way or another.  The best way to overcome fear is to breathe and remember reality.  The reality is, the God has you in his loving arms and nothing can stand against us when God is with us.  So today, as I face my fears, I am going to remember that my God is greater than all of my fear! 
Amen!




No comments:

Post a Comment